LEARNING IN OUR WATERSHED FIELD TRIP GRANT PROGRAM
Grants are now available to help pay for field trips!
We encourage field trips which foster the study of water law history and water development and develop an understanding of place, the natural and human resources that we use and conserve. We do not fund recreational and athletic field trips, even if they occur at one of the listed locations. PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION AT LEAST THREE WEEKS PRIOR TO THE DATE OF YOUR TRIP to guarantee timely processing of your request.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
All K-12 schools that are located in Weld or Larimer Counties qualify to submit an application to the Poudre Heritage Alliance: Learning in Our Watershed Field Trip Grant Program. One application per school, per grade level, per year will be accepted, regardless of the destination or purpose of the field trip.
The educational value of pre-approved field trip destinations (see below) has been documented by other teachers along with the professional education staff at the destinations. Other destinations will be considered. We encourage you to think creatively about destinations and apply for one that makes sense for you and your students.
The following field trip Cache la Poudre River National Heritage Area destinations and events are pre-approved for the field trip grant program;
- Centennial Village
- Children’s Water Festival in Greeley
- Children’s Water Festival in Fort Collins
- Environmental Learning Center
- Ft. Collins Museum & Discovery Science
- GETWET Observatory & Science Park
- Greeley # 3 Ditch Headgate & Parshall Flume Site
- Greeley Museum
- Kaplan-Hoover Bison Bone Bed
- Old Nunn Municipal Hall
- On The Trail to Health, Heritage, and Happiness Routes
- Plumb Farm
- Poudre Learning Center
- Von Trotha-Firestien Farm at Bracewell
- Water Resources Archive
- Windsor Museum
- Windsor Lake
- 1882-83 Historic Ft. Collins Water Works
Other destinations may be approved on a case-by-case basis. The list above is not intended to discourage you from considering other destinations, from visiting natural areas or events for learning activities that you plan yourself. Rather, it is intended to speed approval for destinations whose educational value has already been demonstrated by other teachers and/or by the professional education staff at the destination. The key criterion is the educational value of the field trip, not the particular destination.
- Grants will pay for reasonable student and sponsors admission cost.
- Bus transportation via district or school buses, or via private bus companies;
- Grant cannot pay for private automobile costs, learning materials, and food.
- Reasonable substitute teacher and/or field excursion assistant costs may be considered for funding.
* Grants typically funded up to $250.
APPLY NOW! Submit the online application form or mail, the application to the Poudre Heritage Alliance Administrative Offices. Applications are open throughout the year until the grant funds are exhausted. Please fill out the online application form to start the process. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. One application per school, per grade level, per year will be accepted, regardless of the destination or purpose of the field trip. PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION AT LEAST THREE WEEKS PRIOR TO THE DATE OF YOUR TRIP to guarantee timely processing of your request.
If your field trip is to a pre-approved destination (see list above), you will select that destination on the application. If your field trip destination is not on the pre-approved list, you will be asked to provide additional information about the educational value of the field trip. We are not responsible for any circumstance beyond our immediate control, and difficulties on the part of yourself, your school, or your Internet service provider will not be considered.
Grant recipients are selected on criteria established by the Poudre Heritage Alliance with the assistance of the funding partners. The criteria will include:
- Learning about the history of water law and water development goals of the Poudre Heritage Alliance and its funding partners
- A focus on K-12 students and their classrooms
- Date of application
- A pre-approved destination, or documentation of the educational value of the proposed destination
- Funds available in each grant cycle
The grant will be awarded based on your best estimate of expenses. Funding will occur after the field trip as a reimbursement. To receive payment, submit this Field Trip Close-Out Form, with your district or school transportation invoice or sales receipts within 14 days of taking your trip to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Scholarships, Poudre Heritage Alliance, 3745 E. Prospect Rd. Suite 205, Fort Collins, CO 80525.
We accept only official invoices or sales receipts showing actual costs which frequently comes from the school’s office manager or transportation department.