2005 N Overland Trail, Fort Collins, CO 80521
This historic facility was built in 1882-1883 to provide the growing town of Fort Collins with an adequate supply of water for fighting the building fires that plagued the early town. The water supply to homes also was expected to reduce waterborne illnesses. The Water Works building is located on a 26-acre site that includes a portion of the historic Cherokee Trail and Overland Stage route. Water delivery continued until 1905 when the new water filter plant opened in the Poudre Canyon. Designated as a State and Local historical landmark, the property is currently being transformed into a Water Interpretive Center. Guided tours of the site allow visitors to learn about the mechanics of water delivery. See artifacts, maps and displays, including the original steam pump room and the filter room.