100 N 5th St, Windsor, CO
The Windsor History Museum features historic buildings from around Windsor built between 1882 and the 1920s. These buildings help to tell the story of Windsor beginning with the completion of the Great Salt Lake & Pacific Railroad through the sugar beet boom of the early 20th century.
The Museum includes Windsor’s original 1882 Train Depot, complete with caboose and freight car, the Whitehall Schoolhouse and teacher’s quarters, a German-Russian farm house built in the traditional four-square style along with its summer kitchen, a beet shack, and an early 20th century chapel.
An “Eaton House” is also located on the museum property (see picture gallery). It was perhaps the abode of the tenant farmer for Benjamin Harrison Eaton’s properties north of Windsor Lake, or maybe even a ditch rider for the Greeley #2 Canal that feeds the reservoir. B. H. Eaton was an early settler of the area before the Town of Windsor was established, and he was responsible for managing the most prosperous farms in Windsor. He was known for acquiring properties and then building on them brick houses for his tenant farmers or ditch riders, so this house at one time was just one of many similar properties throughout the Northern Colorado region during the late 1800s and early 1900s.
Hours and Tours:
Starting on June 20, 2020, the museum will be open Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., excluding July 4. COVID-19 precautions include reduced facility capacities, recommended social distancing guidelines and enhanced cleaning and sanitizing efforts.
In order to limit the number of visitors in the historic buildings, museum staff is recommending that visitors must pre-register for a free tour or self-guided visit. The museum, including the Train Depot and 5 other historic buildings, will open for up to a maximum of 10 people per one hour increments. Reservations can be made by phone at 970-674-3502, online at https://bit.ly/WindsorMuseum or in person at the Windsor History Museum Train Depot during museum open hours. Drop-in visits are welcome with the understanding that a short wait might be required before being admitted to the museum buildings.
When enjoying the museum, visitors are asked to keep six feet or more from other individuals, avoid touching their face, and use provided hand sanitizer, as available. The Windsor Parks, Recreation & Culture Department recommends that all facility users wear a mask. Town staff are required to wear a mask at all facilities.
The museum will close for the summer on September 5.
The Poudre Heritage Alliance has supported several signs at the Museum in conjunction with the Town of Windsor.
From I-25, take exit and head east for 4.8 miles into Windsor. Turn left (north) onto E. 5th St.